Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Proposal

On May 20, 2010, I came home from grocery shopping not feeling well at all. I don't know if I was coming down with a cold or just had a bad head and body ache, but it was amazingly draining. Catherine already was at my house waiting for me, reading a book on Celtic folklore, a favorite subject of hers, to pass the time. She noticed my condition and told me to get some rest.

I went upstairs, got into my sleepwear, and flopped under the covers to rest. Catherine was downstairs, doing Heaven knows what in the kitchen. My first guess was that she was cleaning up, or maybe taking after Rebecca and reorganizing things to look better. I closed my eyes and allowed a sweet but shallow slumber to take me.
A while later Catherine knocked on my door, waited until I asked her to come in, and saw her with a freshly baked butter cake. Catherine told me that she made it to help cheer me up, which I desperately needed. As she handed me the fork and was about to dig in, I saw a single object that would change my life: planted in the middle for me to see, was a gold ring with three small clear stones in them.
She took my hand and said those special four words, "Will you marry me?"

All too happily, I accepted.

I'm still wearing that ring...and right now, I am hoping so is Catherine, wherever she is.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete