Friday, June 5, 2015

Through the Looking Glass part 2

One thing that stood out to me was the silence. No birds, no wind, I even ached for an eerie whisper or two. But there was nothing.

I walked and walked for what seemed like forever on a never-ending road in a place that seemed to be out of a drug addict's surreal nightmares. I wondered, chillingly, if this was my fate.

The thought alone made me nauseous, and I struggled to not vomit. It took a huge amount of effort, but I managed to push down the bile and press on.

Then came the music. Any sort of description fails to truly encapsulate my relief and terror. I bum rushed forward, running towards the steadily building of notes and chimes.

I should have known better, I did know better, but when you're desperate, you go to the first ray of light. In a clearing, right where the road ended and a large clearing began. The music there was the loudest, but there was nothing and no one there.

There were lyrics, I could hear the words clear as day, but as of now I'm struggling to remember them. But I felt a bone chilling fear, even more powerful than before, creep into me.

I backed away from the clearing, small step by small step, and I would have run had I not tripped over something. In that split second the singing stopped. I lost my balance, regained it, and saw a pastel, glass sugar bowl.

It was like a blessing to see something so bright and happy in a place like this. But I wasn't stupid--something this good probably had something horrifying inside. I could have put it down and found another solution.

I stress the word could. I didn't.

Instead I lifted the lid and found, much to my surprise, not a small puddle of blood or a shape shifting black ooze, but candies that were as cheerfully colored as the bowl. They looked like they were begging to be eaten.

If this was a joke, it wasn't funny.

2 comments:

  1. >2015
    >a Slenderblog worth reading
    Oh yes. These are a rarity these days. Do keep updating.

    On another note, for God's sake tell me you didn't eat those sweets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're alright. If you can manage to remember, please do keep updating. This thing is very, very persistent, but any patterns we can identify will be helpful.

    ReplyDelete