Saturday, February 1, 2014

Blinding

On January 21st, as most of you know, was the first true snowstorm of the year. It was also the day my girls and I returned to school. At first the snow came down slowly, then it became so thick you couldn't see anything. The college was let out early and we quickly headed to our cars.

I, unfortunately, had parked too far from the building and had to brave walking through the icy winds. Also unfortunately, I forgot my gloves.

I walked slowly, though the soft mounds of snow that covered the sidewalks and streets, tripping more than once and getting my knees wet. I put my hand out to cat myself if I fell again, and when I looked up I saw a strange, tall figure in the distance.

Whatever it was, I could not see it clearly; the snow in my teary eyes and in the howling wind made in almost impossible. Though I now felt watched and vulnerable, I kept walking towards my car. The figure did not move an inch.

The closer I got the more the dread increased. I slipped on a patch of ice and was cushioned by a large pile of snow that had accumulated. I looked at my hands and much to my horror, the flakes did not melt when they landed on my trembling flesh. The figure seemed to get closer.

I didn't wait for another second. I grabbed my backpack and ran as fast as I possibly could to my car. The whole way the snow got thicker, the winds got more vicious and I could have sworn the temperature dropped even more. I thought I was going to freeze to death.

I made it to my car, threw open the doors and turned the heat way, way up. Slowly but surly, my hands began to feel again and the snow that stuck to them so eagerly morphed back into cold water. I felt surrounded by something dark and deep, something that observed me.

It took me almost three hours to get back home, and all the while I knew I was being followed. I didn't need to look in my mirrors to know that it was there. Pulling into my driveway and exiting my car was difficult--I shuffled through the snow and looked all around for the thing. Nothing. Nothing at all.

Catherine wasn't insane.

No comments:

Post a Comment