Saturday, September 1, 2012

The Storm

On August 21, we began to prepare for the oncoming hurricane. I can't tell you how many times I went out to the supermarkets (with and without friends) to get the supplies that we needed in case of something going wrong. With a hurricane that big on the way, we couldn't take any chances.

August 27 was pretty much judgement day. We were as prepared as we could ever be, flashlights, batteries, the works. Lunagirl, usually an outdoor cat, was brought in the house due to our fears that she would be hurt. We knew that she was smart, but from what we heard, the hurricane was too big and too wild to risk her safety. As I predicted, Lunagirl loved being inside. She roamed the house like an excited kid through Disney World, brushing up against and jumping up on everything she could find; it was the cutest little thing.

Before I headed off to bed, I made sure to call not just Catherine, but all of my girls to make sure that they were safe, sound and prepared for whatever came their way.

We all slept in our basement, where it was the safest. Lunagirl curled up next to me and didn't stir for the remainder of the night. If I dreamed of anything, I can't remember for the life of me.

In the morning I awoke to the sound of Lungirl meowing loudly in my ear. No doubt she was hungry. She pawed at me, insistent that I get up and tend to her needs.

"Alright," I croaked,  "I hear you. Come on...let's go"  I got up from the couch and lumpered up the stairs, rubbing my eyes as I did so. In my blurry vision I could not see anything outside the windows, besides the early morning sun rising. Lunagirl sat at the backdoor, waiting to be let out. I said, "Be patient, kitten. Let me get your breakfast...really? You want to be let outside now? Oh, alright. Come here."

I walked outside, with Lunagirl in my arms, into a near war zone. Fallen branches and unearthed trees were everywhere. One large tree had completely fallen over into our neighbor's pool, breaking the fence and crushing their heater. Luckily, our pool only had half a tree in there; all my dad had to do was fish it out, albeit cursing up another storm. My precious cat seemed confused about what happened and why the people around her seemed so distraught. It seemed that as she ate her food she was mulling over this puzzle.

My mother tried to turn on the lights multiple times and found that we, like the rest of our neighbors, were completely without power.

My phone came alive, and before I had time to say 'hello' to the caller, Vivian practically screamed, "Dude! That was one hell of a storm last night! That hurricane destroyed three houses on my street!"

"You're kidding."

"Nope. I'm looking at them right now. No one's dead, but their houses are toast."

And as if to prove her point, shortly after our call ended I got pictures of the said houses. They were indeed toast.

Twenty minutes passed and a text message from Florence read, 'Tell me that you're alright, El.' I responded with telling her that I was indeed alright, but without any power. She texted back with a '-3- same here. My parents are getting twigs and bushes out of the shed. The windows broke and there is glass every which way. I have to help clean it all up. Christ almighty -_-.' Damn, I really felt bad for Flo.

On a whim my father got us all in the car to see how everyone else faired. The neighborhoods around ours were lightless, looking with absolute horror at how many power lines were completely torn from the poles, knotted with the branches of the trees that fell them. Seeing as we were in the car already, we all went to the magical land of 7-11 to get breakfast. You never saw a convenience store so crowded, I swear to God. I got a cinnamon roll and orange juice to ward off the hunger. So there we were, sitting in the 7-11 parking lot wondering what the hell we would do, and in that time Naomi sent me some pictures of what happened near her. Surprise, surprise, it was as bad as everyone else's.

When we returned to our house, the power was still out and wouldn't come back on. The hours ticked by and still nothing. Rebecca set me a video message from her phone to mine, walking around her street and expressing her dismay at how the storm ravaged seemingly everying.

The one upside that I liked was that the stars could be seen much better without all the lights. The first day wasn't so bad, actually.

2 comments:

  1. Did you not hear from Catherine that morning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This constantly amazes me just how blog owners such as your self can find the time as well as the dedication to keep on crafting superb blog posts. Your website is good and one of my personal must read weblogs. I just had to thank you.

    Hurricane proof house

    ReplyDelete