Saturday, July 7, 2012

Fear Dubh

In my last post, I talked about the title of Catherine's book purchase. I couldn't get a good look at the author, or the cover art, but I know that the book exists somewhere. For some reason I can't seem to find it not matter what bookstore I look in.
I looked to the internet to give me the answer as to who or what the Fear Dubh is, as Catherine suddenly developed an interest in it. Normally Catherine would be facinated with Irish mythology, the faeries, the heroes and heroines, not the monsters that lurked in the shadows. In my research I found this little description of it:

“In Ireland, there is the legend of the Fear Dubh (The Black Man). This creature is said to haunt solitary footpaths at night, generally those that pass through woodland. It is reputed to be entirely malevolent."

I went from site to site searching for this thing, and found stories of people (or people who knew people) who had encounters with this 'Fear Dubh.' The stories were the stuff of nightmares; people being abducted in the night or, even more unnerving, the day. A story in Ireland about a child and her grandmother, and how the latter died in a terrible fire that had no known cause. How the fire made strange, black cracks all over the walls that looked like the tentacles of a eldritch sea monster. The pictures that showed what was left of the house were chilling. The local county police chief died of a heart attack a few days later, and following his death the priest also died mysteriously. Odd.

There are similar stories around the world, such as Der Großmann, who was featured in several disturbing woodcuts from 16th century Germany. It, too, was a malevolent entity; it lurked in the Black Forest, who supposedly kidnapped naughty children at night, and who stalked said children until they confessed their sins to their parents and changed their ways.
After I looked everywhere I could, I went to Catherine's house to ask her about her obsession with the Fear Dubh, and what started it. Catherine had a vivid imagination, which helped us during our childhood playdates. Perhaps it had gotten the best of her. Or perhaps not.
When I got to her house, I found her drawing in the den. She didn't look like she had slept in days. On pieces of large, white pieces of paper were grim images made with charcoal. Drawings of forests, of a black thing lurking in the water, the fire, the air and the earth, of half remembered nightmares through a cracked, ancient mirror.

I asked, "What is the Fear Dubh, Catherine?"

She muttered, "Something."

Not 'nothing, but 'something.'

"What is it?"

She was silent for a time, but then said, "Everything will be fine, Elizabeth. Just...just please stay with me."

I pulled her into a hug and I whispered, "I will never leave."

We laid on the sofa, saying nothing but holding each other, and there we fell asleep.

9 comments:

  1. Elizabeth, I don't know why your writing this, but clearly you need help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Considering that the fear if the dark and the nightmares it entails. The Fear Dubh could be just a figment of imagination or be a very real construct created and fed by the fears of we humans. Its the embodiment of inescapable fear and terrors. The only logical way I can think of to beat it is to face your fear of death and realize that if you're going to die than you're going to die. An extremely hard thing to accept but once you do your fear of death fades and therefore your fear of the Fear Dubh fades considerably if not completely

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lemme add to your collection that might interest you.
    There is a creature with a similar discription and whats better that it originate from asia.

    Its called. "Rogon Gaiyoh" in native word. which means "Tall man"
    it also kidnap children in the night.

    Check out - http://books.google.com.my/books?id=fB88AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA401&lpg=PA401&dq=rogon+gaiyoh&source=bl&ots=rKEGSt6f8Y&sig=TBmGBUWrKPMK5g_mfqZlZ58bqjE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=6k9DUbqCA8WPrgew04CQBQ&sqi=2&ved=0CCsQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=rogon%20gaiyoh&f=false

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you so much much esp replies

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found your blog because I have been searching for information on Fear Dubh. I thought I would never be able to find someone that knew what the hell I was talking about (most people think I mean slenderman) and I read your entire blog. I couldn't find any other way to contact you and so I am commenting in hopes that you will see it and respond to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Fear Dubh's origin is actually Scotland, but Scotland, Ireland and Wales are Celtic brothers and sisters, so they do share some legends and myths that are the same.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fear dhub by Scottish stories I was told as a child. The story roughly goes a woman at church one day after the service, approaches the priest complaining that he was back at the bairns (childs) window. The priest agrees to bless their house and he does. The next day the child is gone and priest found dead. I was told never to go out alone after dark or the fear dhub would get us and that I was never to go alone into the woods at night.I cannae remember the whole story it's been over 20years since my gran told me about him. She died in 1993 when I was a younger. Hope this helps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Don't look too much into it. I see him as a way to get kids to behave.

      Delete